Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Just call me Superteacher!

Actually, please don't. I prefer "Miss Karen".

I've been off work for summer holidays for 2 weeks. In those two weeks, since I work very close to my school, I've seen 3 of my students while I've been out and about. I loved seeing them (truly) and it's been a positive experience every time. But this last time made me very happy.

I saw Elise yesterday as I was coming back from my exhausting ass-haul run through my favourite park. She was with her grandma and we stopped to chat. After a few minutes of trying to convince her that I was indeed Miss Karen even though I wasn't inside the school, she gave me a big, sweet hug. Her grandma told me that she would be going to a French immersion school this coming September and they had to do an interview with her first to see how much she knew. Her grandmother was impressed at how much she could speak.

Now excuse m while I take all the credit for that. I think it's so important to hear different languages as early as possible so at circle time I'll count, do colours and some calendar stuff in French (and sometimes Sign Language and Hebrew just for shits and giggles). At storytime, I'll often read a book in French as well. They didn't do very much French before I showed up, so I took it upon myself to throw some in on the daily.

Result! As I stood there, all sweaty in the street, I never felt prouder of myself. Okay, I actually have felt prouder but not that day. I walked back home with a smile on my face and a spring in my step and that's saying a lot after a hot, unpleasant attempt at jogging.

So all that to say, I'm a pretty good teacher.

kxx


No comments: