Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy 2015!

A few interesting things have come up already and we're less than a week in.

  • I'm finally getting to perform that ukulele tune on Wednesday. I may not have posted about it here, but I had been practicing the song "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" for about a month before the last ukulele night then on "game day" I got bumped. Not one to give up on a thing, I just kept on practicing it until the next one which is Wednesday. Let the fact that it's ages past New Year's Eve stop me? Never. Besides... I've practiced it so much over the last 6 weeks that if I don't play it, my family would have gone through all that damned plink-a-plinking for nothing.


  • This weekend, my ukulele gang will be playing the National Anthem before Sunday's Ottawa 67's hockey game. Have I practiced it even once? Well, d'uh, of course I have. I've played it through 3 times just now, I'll have you know. Heh, well, at least I know all the words. I'll fake it through the rest using what we call in the "biz" the zed chord. Which is where you wrap your whole meaty fist around the neck of the uke, deadening the strings. This will happen.

  • This next one is cool:
If you listen to CBC you may have heard the show Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids. It does what it says on the tin and is truly hilarious and if you haven't heard it, get thee to their Facebook page here and just click on one of the links. It's awesome. Anyway, I heard they were coming to town and signed up to read a couple of my grade 11 poetry. Awful stuff but sure to get a laugh. Unfortunately, IN MY READING IT, they won't be able to see the OVER-use of the ever-dramatic ALL CAPS!!!

If the first few weeks of the new year are anything to go by, This sure will be a fun year of putting myself out there and doing things I never EVER thought I'd do a couple of years ago. 

I know it's early but how's your new year shaping up?

KXX







No comments: